Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Faith

I hear a lot about faith these days. I hear things like," you just have to believe" and "you have to work up faith". Just what is faith anyway? The dictionary defines faith as a noun which means, 1:A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny, 2:Complete confidence in a person or plan etc: 3:An institution to express belief in a divine power 4:Loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person.

Now let's see, how does the Bible define faith? In Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen.

Okay, let me review this. Faith is a strong belief, complete confidence, an institution, loyalty, and the assurance of things hoped for and a conviction of things not seen. Faith is the evidence of things not seen and comes before the actual receiving. Faith is not a feeling. Feelings are physical faith is spiritual. God promises to supply our every need. Faith is believing God will do what He says in His word, the Bible.

How does one come by this faith? Does he do like the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz stand there repeating "I believe, I believe, I believe"? I can tell you one thing it doesn't work for me because while I'm telling myself that I believe in the back of my mind is a voice that says, If you believe this one I have a bridge to sell you. So how do I acquire faith? The bible holds the answer. Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Faith is a gift from God. To acquire this gift I must ask for it

No comments: